Question
Posted by: Kay | 2010-02-26

Toddler diet

My 2 year old son is extremely thin. He gets sick quite often and then just doesnt put on weight. he is being raised lacto-vegetarian and has a sensitivity to milk.
How can I increase his weight or appetite?

Dear Kay
If your son is sensitive to milk then you can presumably give him a totally vegetarian diet that excludes all milk and dairy products, eggs, meat, and fish? If this so, then I would urge you to consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will have to assess your son, his weight and health and then work out a diet prescription for him to allows him to grow and develop normally despite being a total vegetarian. The dietitian will also advise on the use of vitamin and mineral supplements because it is quite possible that your son is deficient in protein, calcium, iron, zinc, vit B12 and omega-3 fatty acids.
Please so see a dietitian because you want your child to grow up strong and healthy.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-02-27

Dear Kay