Question
Posted by: Unique | 2010/10/19

To the in laws

I hear you unilaterally decided that you''ll be spending the xmas holidays AGAIN this year. First of all let me acknowledge some positives

1) Thank you for picking up on the hint that xmas visit should last a maximum of 4 day. 2.5 weeks was just too long.
2)Thank you for stopping the practice of bringing gifts for everybody but me, and having the nerve to brag about what you brought for your other children - then immediately saying that as a daughter in law I''m also your child. this is when the conversation switches to what gifts you want. The practice of buying for children only - as I introduced last year due to the reasons above - saves a lot of embarrassment.

Here are my requests for this year:

1) Note that I am not your maid. So you will not be waking up to a prepared breakfast, cooked lunch and cooked supper. The food will be available in the fridge but I will not be cooking 3 times a day.
2)If any of the brothers in law and their partners are coming note they''ll pay for their own entertainment when we go out.
3)If you are bringing any babies please make sure they have nappies and formula. if they run out the parents must buy. They can borrow my baby''s things if they use the same type/size but I''m under no obligation to buy different brands of baby goods for them.
4) Although I like to experiment with things, I will not be switching my brand of washing power, mealie meal, rice, soap etc to your choice of brand.
5)If you can afford to come in a new hair styles and new clothes surely you are not a broke as you say.
6) I''ve been working the whole year,so I wish to rest during the holidays. Please have 0 expectaction of hotel service.
7) We really have different lives so stop saying you want your house to have EXACTLY the same things we have.
8)I work and earn a salary. I therefore contribute equally to the finances of the house. stop talking about your poor son that has sooo many responsibilities.
9) Note that I was born too. I was also raised under difficult circumstances. I don''t owe you anything for raising your son.

Right. A Christmas viasit ahould end well less than 51 weeks before the next Christmas. And if they want hotel service, then should go to a hotel.
Sounds like an excellent example of the sort of contract that should be offered, especially by a reluctant hostess !
Bravo !

6
Posted by: Happiness | 2010/10/21

You definately tolerate a lot of bullsh*it!! Holidays are one time, scratch that, I don''t allow anyone to step on my toes. We work hard for what we have, you come to my house YOU WILL play by my rules or ship out.

Girl, Bite their heads off if you have to, nice girls don''t make it anywhere LOL!!

Reply to Happiness
Posted by: Liza | 2010/10/20

Dare my dear. It''s the only way things will change. Your requests are perfectly reasonable!

Reply to Liza
Posted by: jose | 2010/10/19

U go girl!

Reply to jose
Posted by: Unique | 2010/10/19

OMG! I wouldn''t dare!

Reply to Unique
Posted by: Envious | 2010/10/19

WOW - I applaud you for your open letter and your corage in writing it, but have you are or are you planning on sharing it''s contents with those it is aimed at? I cerrtainly hope so, for your own wellbeing.

Reply to Envious

Bravo !