Posted by: A.N. | 2011-09-12

To stay or not to stay...

Hello Dr Anrich...I have a question I have been pondering on for ages. This time last year I went for a gynae check up (after not having gone for a few years), I went to a new gynae in Johannesburg and really liked his manner etc. All tests etc. clear. A few months later I became ill with pelvic pains, blood in urine etc. Went to urologist, GP''s, all sorts of scans, tests and procedures showed nothing. During this I went to see the same gynae 3 x (because I was and still am convinced this is gynae related). All he said to me was there was nothing wrong, nothing wrong and dismissed my pain. It is now 8 months since I last saw him and I must have my yearly again (apart from still having odd pains). I am convinced he has missed something (?). Should I go back to him (strange, but I really did like him). Or should I try someone completely new ? (trouble is....not even some of my woman friends can suggest anyone...!). I have heard it''s best to stick with the same doctor but he certainly dismissed my pain. (What I mean is, just because everything looked / felt ok, I would think at least a laparoscopy could be performed if quality of life is so effected by pain). Unfortunately, I am an anxious person and I think seen as overly fearful. Your expert advise would be greatly appreciated.

You can certainly stay with the same gynaecologist but you can definately consult another gynaecologist for a second opinion. If your chronic lower abdominal pain is severely affecting your quality of life, you should perhaps consult a gastroenterologist for a second opinion.