Question
Posted by: Lynx | 2009/10/28

To Ronelle - Daughter tells Lies

Ronelle,

I really feel for you. Seems like your daughter feels lonely. She possibly gets attention, comfort and sympathy from her friends when she tells such lies. She may even be very depressed. Is she the eldest of your kids? You said you spend quality time with her, but what do you two do together? She' s a teenager, going through a lot of changes and may just need some extra TLC. Some may say she is selfish to expect more of you than you give other kids, but children are all different. She may also have difficulty keeping friends or may feel the only way to keep her friends interested in her if she has problems. Maybe she doesn' t have a very close friend, like a really best friend that you share everything with, confide in, etc.

Please take her to a therapist. Ensure her that there is nothing wrong with her, but you just want her to feel better about herself. There is a lot of stigma attached to visiting a therapist and you don' t want your child thinking that you think she is crazy.

Good luck dear.

A nice analysis of several possible aspects of the problem. I agree that the firl should see a child psychologist or child psychiatrist, for assessment. And there need not be any major isue of stigma - often it's the way such a visit is described and explained that leads a child to suspect there's something wrong about it

1