Question
Posted by: Mandy | 2011-02-03

To Outsider –  Re: 958

Thanks for your reply.
I called this AA you refered me to. And they only assist in meetings (where you go maybe twice a week or so). Also there''s another AA in Houghton I called and they about 30 thousand odd........ Also I tried Sanca and because he is 65 , they are unable to help. Too Old. I need some some of FREE facility where he can stay in and his grant can go towards his food and stuff. Where he will do some “ work”  there, staying out of mischief. Some place that keeps his stuff (ID and Bank Card), coz besides that he is an alcoholic, the Loan Sharks is also my biggest stress. And ALL his money goes to them and he will get change for alcohol. In a few days he goes back to them for MORE money to drink some more......... Do you know if any place like that. BTW I am in JHB South.

There may be a branch of Al-Anon, which works with relatives of the alcoholic, rather than the alcoholics themselves. Liza has given you their website address. She;s also right about finding a useful social worker.

6
Posted by: PUrple | 2011-02-03

I think the ARK work on that sort of basis. You stay there for free while you dry out or get off the drugs and then once you are clean, you work there to pay for your keep. Don''t know how you would contact them though.

Reply to PUrple
Posted by: Mandy | 2011-02-03

Thanks Liza, will do. Will keep you guys updated.

Reply to Mandy
Posted by: Liza | 2011-02-03

I would suggest that you contact your local social services office and speak to a social worker. The social worker will be able to find a state facility where your father can stay. Just lookup the number in your phone book under government services. Alternatively, you can contact a state old age home (there is a list on joburg dot org dot za) and they will be able to give you the contact details of a social worker who can help.

To help you with the stress, try contacting AlAnon - they work specifically with the people affected by alcoholism instead of the alcoholics themselves like AA does. alanon dot org dot za has numbers that you can phone to find a group near you.

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza
Posted by: Mandy | 2011-02-03

Thanks a mill.

Reply to Mandy
Posted by: outsider | 2011-02-03

will try find out

Reply to outsider