Posted by: Wayn | 2009-04-04

To much Acid in stomach

I was told my stomach is really acid, what can I do do make it more alkaline (if thats the right word, normal) What food should I avoid.

Dear Wayne
I would firstly recommend that you have a medical checkup to make sure that you have not developed ulcers. The dr will also prescribe the necessary medications such as proton pump inhibitors and antacids like Ulsanic or Gaviscon. Heartburn, acid reflux and also stomach ulcers, are caused by excess acid production in the stomach and if the patient has food in the stomach this give the acid something it can work on instead of attacking the stomach lining. In fact, the use of 6 smaller meals a day is a good idea when suffering from heartburn or ulcers because this would mean that the patient practically always has some food in his stomach to prevent acid erosion. You should split up your main meals into 2 smaller meals each. One of the most important factors in excess acid production and heartburn is stress. If you suffer from heartburn, you will have to experiment with the foods you eat that may cause problems (raw onions, garlic, cucumber, green peppers, very spicy foods and condiments, gas-cold drinks, very fatty foods, etc and all alcohol (which I doubt is applicable in his case). This is often an individual reaction and you will have to keep a food diary to see what foods cause this problem and then cut them out. If you finds that this is too difficult, then please consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), who will help you pinpoint trigger foods and work out a diet that avoids them. To relieve stress I would recommend that you should learn relaxing techniques, how to do deep breathing exercises and some form of physical exercise which is also relaxing, such as yoga. Going for brisk walks in the fresh air also helps to relieve tension.