Question
Posted by: Gadija | 2012/04/15

to mirena or not to mirena

I had a copper iud fitted after i had my son a little over a year ago. I absolutely loved the convenience of it. Two months ago it worked its way out though.My gynae recommended the Mirena. I tried the nordette pill before and had constant angioedeama( there is a history in my family though i tested negative) up until a week after i stopped taking it. My gynae says he will not fit any iud other than mirena as that is the only one that wont work its way out of my body. He himself said that it would seem that i have a sensitivity towards certain hormones, but he recons the hormones released by the mirena is too minimal to cause any reaction. My concern is that i have it fitted and then end up having the same issue that I had with Nordette. HELP Please

The hormones from the Mirena are released locally and so should not cause problems, though some women do complain of them.

1