Question
Posted by: Belinda | 2009/10/20

To let you know

Dear Dr Bets

I wrote to you a few days ago about my severe migraine that will not let up and some other worrying symptoms like the mumbness etc. I finally got to see the neurologist yesterday. He said that migraines usually happens superfically in the brain and this one just went much deeper affecting the (I hope I remember this correctly) the cortex. My specific migraine affects my motor centre causing the one sided numbness. He called it Central sesidization and allodynia. Although I did have a MRI done in May that showed nothing wrong with my arteries etc, he said he wanted to do another one to make sure we are not missing anything - but he is not expecting to find anything else. I sill have some pain and numbness (3 weeks later) but am on Topomax, I am now on day 4 of 50mg and he wants me to complete another 10 day course of 80mg Prednisone to help relieve some of the inlammation and all in all he said I should start feeling a lot better by the end of next 2 weeks. I already dont feel the side effects of the topamax so much.

I wanted to write to say thank you for the way in which you respond to your posts. You have a lovely ' bedside'  manner and we really appreaciate you.

Kind regards
Belinda

Hi Belinda
I am glad that this headache is "just" a migraine and not something more serious, and I think it will just give you peace of mind if he does another MRI. It must be terrible to walk around with such a severe headache for weeks but I really hope that it gets better gradually. Will you be using Topomax sort of permanently as a preventative measure too?
Thank you for the "thank you" - I always appreciate it!

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2009/10/20

Hi Belinda

Reply to cyberdoc