Question
Posted by: CC | 2011/09/19

To GI Diet or To Low CArb Diet with Insulin REsistance

hi Diet Doc,

I am very confused and frustrated about which diet i am to go on to fix my body with food. I have insulin resistance as well as an underactive thyroid for 20 years and have PCOS. I am onl eltroxin, glucophage and even anti depressants. I want to fix myself with food. I have done lots of research and it says that i should be eating a low carb diet to combate the insulin resistance, very hard to maintain as i get so tired i need the carbs for fuel. I have started gym as well but need to sort my diet out. I went to a dietitican and she also put my on a low carb diet. when i read through your advise and comments you tell people in the same situation as me to follow a low gi diet...so you can see where the confusion comes in. I''m ready to take the next step, please can you help me. Oh yes i tried WW and WL but also cant loose any weight on these diets even if i follow to the Tee.

Dear CC
I would recommend that you use a low-fat, low-GI diet because you suffer from insulin resistance (IR), PCOS and have already experienced the lack of energy associated with using a low-carb diet. If you are going to go it alone with the low-fat, low-carb diet then here are some references that you can use: 1) Click on 'Diet’nFood' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. 2) You can contact The Glycemic Index Foundation of SA at: www.gifoundation.com to obtain more information, including books that explain the principles of the diet. If you combine this type of low-fat, low-GI diet with 30 min of daily aerobic exercise then you should start losing weight. If you suspect that the antidepressants you are on may be hampering your weightloss, please discuss this with the prescribing doctor because he/she may be able to adjust your dosage or prescribe a medication that does not cause weight gain or prevent weightloss. Doing regular exercise can also help for depression, so try to get as active as possible.
Holding thumbs that you will be able to lose weight with a sensible low-fat, low-GI diet and exercise.

2
Posted by: Tired of Diets | 2011/09/19

hi
I am also Insulin resistant and have PCOS, my gnae has put me in 1000mg of Glucophage a day(slow release), I have been on low carb diet and exercise 3 times a week....and the weight is still not coming off....please help, want to try something natural as I feel the Glucophage is hindering the weight loss, please let me know what you think of Antagolin as either an alternative or complementary treatment. I want to be healthly and control my blood sugar levels naturally.

Reply to Tired of Diets

Dear CC