Question
Posted by: essie | 2011-04-29

TO GET FIT

hi i just wanna know what is the easiest way to get fit? i cant afford to go to a gym and going for walk everyday also no good cause area where we stay not save to walk outside the flat.
one friend of mine did gave me her excercising bike but after 2min i cant anymore...just so out of breath. I was sick for 10weeks this year and i wasnt really fit before but now i cant even climb the stairs to my flat without stopping or if i get to flat i am so out of breath, and if i am out of breath i start coughing and then my airpipe blocks so i cant really not breath and hav to relax for half an hour. I just wanna say it is only 2 flight of stairs and i am a female almost 31. I just need something i can do to get fit again, my mother in law is taking us on a holiday and there will be lost of walking and i know at this stage i will not make it. The holiday is in end July. can u pls help me?

Hi essie

I guess it depends on how you define "easy"! There's easy in the sense that you can start very slowly and then build up very gradually, which is easy, but it takes a long time. Or there's the way you could start very fast, get fit faster, but it might be more difficult for the short time.

But really, all it is is systematically building up the distance and time you spend exercising per day. If you are currently at a limit of 2 minutes, then my advice is to go for 1 minute, then rest 1 minute, then go again, and repeat this for a total of 15 minutes. 1 min on, 1 min off.

I think you'll find that you'll adapt quickly. Within a week or so, you'll be up to maybe 3 min on, 1 min off, and then up to 5 and 1.

Over time, you just have to increase the ratio of cycling to rest, or walking to rest. Perhaps on weekends you can make a trip of it and drive somewhere that is safe (with a friend or two - company is always good for motivation!) and do the same thing there.

There's really no magic formula - you have to just leap into it and test out the waters, and then stick with it until you start to adapt. If you are exhausted so quickly now, then just go slower, lower the intensity to what is manageable. You might also consider that maybe your sickness has weakened you, and perhaps you need to look into something like iron supplementation or diet. This is something to do with a dietician though, or only after blood tests.

Good luck!
ROss