Posted by: sloer koer | 2008-11-17

To get fit

I am 28 male and i have been very inactive since i finished my studies in 2002.So now i must make a plan.I started to jog yesterday.Everything is sore today.Which i guess is understandable.What is the best way to get fit without going to a gym?And what excercises can i do to get me fit. Then another thing is i really dont need to lose weight. Some say i am lucky cause i am so skinny but i feel it is a cure as well. I stopped going to the gym a few years back cause i lost a few kgs. I liek to gain weight but nothing helps.

Thanks in advanced!!!

Yes, it's understandable, and it will go away in time. So I'd say keep up what you're doing. Maybe not as far, or as fast (I'm not sure how you went about this jog), but keep it going. If you can do a light jog three or four times a week, you'll get fit quickly (for running, that is).

In terms of gaining weight, going to a gym does help a great deal, and I'm not sure how open you are to going again. But gaining weight requires weight training, and that's just easier to do in the gym. Gaining weight is just as problematic as trying to lose it. Basically individuals who struggle to gain weight do not ingest sufficient energy for the high demands of their Basic metabolic rate and/or physical activity. DietDoc from this site has written some articles on this subject. For basic information click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Companies like Fresenius Kabi and Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements which you can buy at any chemist.

Phone Fresenius on (011) 545-0000, or the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your energy intake. Basically you need to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If you use a meal supplement such as Fresubin, with or without fibre, at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then you should gain 1 kg per week.

Then finally, keep in mind that you must train properly to increase mass, and eating well is not enough on its own.

If your aim were to build muscle, the following guidelines will help you:
• Perform 6-10 reps at a high intensity - use a weight that you could lift 12 to 15 times
• Perform 3-4 sets
• Rest 30-60 seconds between reps
• Train each muscle group at least once or twice a week
• Allow 48 hours rest between each muscle’s workout

Posted by: sloer koer | 2008-11-20

Thanks very much for such a long and detailed answer. Im sure thsi will help me alot!!!

Reply to sloer koer