Question

To G-dad

Hi G-dad

I read your reply to Linda. What is the best way to get information on previous cases at the high courts. I can see that I am heading for a divorce and will like to keep my self informed and get much information as possible.

Going a google search only gives a few cases with limited results.

Expert ImageFamily law expert

There is an old saying: "he who does his own case, has a fool for a client", it might be better to consult a professional divorce attorney to advise you of your rights. Not all cases are reported and all are matters dealt with where there were advocates or attorneys involved, which as you know can be quite tricky lehal matters that were at stake. If your divorce is simple, i.e where you can follow the DIY route and where you and your spouse can agree on the split of assets and the custody of the children, then a DIY Divorce company like eDivorce, located at www.edivorce.co.za is a good place to start the proceedings and to conclude your divorce.

3
Posted by: G-Dad | 2010/05/24

I agree with Bertus, I do research as a hobby and that is all it will ever be, when it come to personal matters then I rather consult with an attorney, I found to many men made the same mistake, they know better and mess up their case in the process, the one guy was an attorney, but in corporate law, he thought that he know the law, well he was wrong, today he lost everything and can not see his kids, unfortunately he is too mucho to listen to advise and it it impossible to help someone like that, he has spend R600000 on legal fees last time I spoke to him, all of that because he tried to take on his case personally, if he used a specialist in the area I am sure wit would have been a lot cheaper at the end and he would have had access to his kids.
As much as I have learned over the past 9 years it is not enough as each case differ and each judge has a different opinion of the law or the case, you might think you have the best case, but the judge might differ.
Get a specialist in complicated matters.

Reply to G-Dad
Posted by: family law expert | 2010/05/22

Reply to family law expert
Posted by: G-Dad | 2010/05/21

I have buddies that pass electronic copies of the cases to me, the information on the web is limited unless you are a subscriber to a specific law site which you have to pay for.

Reply to G-Dad