Question
Posted by: Hagar | 2011/10/04

To friend or not to friend?

Hi.

We have a black labrador. She seems to get destructive when we are at work, and has eaten many things like for instance the irrigation system.

My first guess is that she is lonely, and therefore gets bored and starts all her mischief.

We are considering getting her a friend. My one concern is that, although she was sprayed, they may start fighting. The other concern is that the opposite of what I hope for will happen and that they will be naughty together.

What is the best gender of dog to get? And should getting her a mate solve the problem?

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Hagar, nice to hear from you. It is difficult to make a proper assessment without more background, but if the dog is only engaging in the destructive behaviour when the family is out - this is a sure sign of seperation anxiety and if so, this needs to be dealt with by a professional and as soon as possible.
Getting another dog without sorting out the problem could well end up with two dogs engaging in the same behaviour.
Please contact me via my e-mail address which is available on the Health24 site and let me know where you stay and I will put you in touch with a professional that can help you. Thanks and sorry cant help more, but this needs professional assistance, Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/10/05

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert