Question
Posted by: Katie | 2010/03/05

To fly or to drive or not?

Hi doc. I''m 39, about to do 3rd ivf cycle. Have 2 teenagers and fell preggies with 1st ivf last yr, but had missed miscariage due to vaginal infection. Second ivf in dec didn''t work. This will be my last attempt due to finances so i dont want to take any chances. My E.T. will be round about 19 April and i have a wedding to go to on 1 May. I live in Durban and will need to travel to Jhb. Should i go by car, or fly, or not go at all. We will go on the 30 April. Is this too critical a time to travel - it will be about 14 days since ET. I don''t want to do anything to ruin my chances - what do you think? Many thanks!

Dear Katie

You could do a very sensitive blood pregnancy test before the 30th April, which should be able to detect an early pregnancy. Should this test be positive I would then suggest that you refrain from travel entirely until the pregnancy is well established. However should the test be negative then you may consider travelling by air as this will be the safest option. If the test is negative then you may expect bleeding around about the 1st May give or take a few days.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

2
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2010/03/11

Dear Katie

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert
Posted by: anon | 2010/03/05

i know you asked the doctor however I''ll share my experience with you. My FS insists that flying is perfectly safe...however...I have a history of miscarriages....3 to be exact...the last one I had discovered that i was expecting on a thursday....flew done to PE on Friday...on my way back Sunday I started bleeding at the airport...some (including my FS) say it''s co-incidental....all I know is that I am not prepared to take that chance again.

Reply to anon