Question
Posted by: Laurel | 2010/07/15

To Doc - RE: Post 1013

Sorry Doc

My apologies - he is 4 and a half years old. A bright little boy.
He is a bubbly child and very active but very fearful when he gets up from his sleep and starts seeing things. I am very worried.
Thanks for your advice - much appreciated
Also await any other response from other parents

Sounds a vlnerable age for this sort of thing. I suspect it happens a bit more often in bright kids, who can have a more vivid and complex imagination. He's not seeing things, in the srictest sense. Some of this is pure imagination - feeling sure he monster is in the cupboard, rather than actually seeing it. And some is misinterpretation / illusions - the shadow of the forgotten dressing gown at the foot of the bed is seen as the monster's paw

4
Posted by: Woman | 2010/07/15

My son was scared of the big bad wolf from red riding hood. Then a friend poured some fake blood all over himself, came in the house and told my boy that he killed the wolf! My son was ecstatic off course, and my friend a hero. My kids also believe that I am not afraid of anything. Many a time i have shouted at monsters to leave the house or i''ll give them a hiding. People think I''m crazy, but my kids think I''m a super hero.

Reply to Woman
Posted by: Happiness | 2010/07/15

Yep very normal indeed.
My son is 5yrs old and his sister is 3yrs old. My son is afraid of anything out of the ordinary, sometimes he can''t stand ben10 cartoons because of the monsters. If he feels the show is about to get scary he simply runs to the next room.
My girl on the other hand has to be chased out of the room because she can watch anything even grown up scary movies. She is just not afraid of anything and is extremely outgoing, which is the opposite of her brother.

Reply to Happiness
Posted by: Maria | 2010/07/15

Hi Laurel,
It''s a very normal thing for that age group and extremely frustrating. We tried various remedies and eventually I think my daughter just grew out of it! She is eight now but still wants a light on in the room across the passage from hers when she goes to bed.

Things you can try:
- watch Monsters Inc with him. It''s a cute and funny film that really takes the scaryness out of monsters
- if he has a favourite movie character, maybe get him a duvet cover or toy, e.g. Woodie will protect you against any monster that comes
- we told our daughter that our cats won''t let anybody or anything strange into our house
- try some Rescue Remedy

Reply to Maria