Question
Posted by: Maria | 2008/07/05

To CS

Hey CS

Greetings from cold and wet Cape Town. Just wondering how you are doing?

I had a rough week. Among other things my dad was doing so well two months after his bypass op, then ended up back in hospital this week with a mysterious chest infection that they can't seem to get a handle on.

Thursday night I developed a pain in my upper abdomen so bad that hubby had to drive me to the emergency room at 1:00 in the morning. The doc there thought I had gallstones, but a sonar on Friday ruled that out and didn't show anything else wrong. They then came up with a theory of stomach acid pushing up and putting my oesophagus in spasm, but it's hard to prove. Could it be a stress/anxiety reaction? The pain was high up, between the bottom of my ribcage (for want of the correct medical terminology!) Although it was very painful when the doc pressed to the right, on my gallbladder.

Keep well CS, and stay warm. I hope you find the perfect kitten soon. There's nothing like a warm furry body to warm the lap and lift the mood. :)

Sorry to hear you've also had some bad times, Maria. I understand why the doc thought of gallstones, though the acid/spasm theory also makes good sense. Let's see--- gallstone pain, usually right-sided, high up by the ribs, may be assoctaed with sweating, nausea, even fever and vomiting. Tends to be steady pain, may be refered ( also felt in parts not directly affected ) through to the back, between the shoulder-blades, maybe under right shoulder, seems to occur usually at night. They could do a cholecystogram, when one swallows pills containing a dye which gets concentrated in bile, then showing the relevant parts better on Xray, but scans can be even more accurate and easier.
Peptic ulcers are less commonly seen these days than when I was younger, as more effective anti-acid meds are available. Pain from acid leaking into the oesophagus is usually described as burning, but can be gripping or stabbing in nnature. Tends to be felt in the throat or left-side of upper abdomen, maybe more likely if one is over-weight, can raidiate into neck, arms or back, more like pains originating in the heart. More likely to be stress related. Can also be related to taking pain pills like aspirin, Brufen or similar meds.
Hope they get this soprted out soon.
Sorry to hear of your dad's fresh problem. One tends to be vulnerable to infections in his general condition, and can pick up different bugs at home or in hospital. Hope that soon gets cleared up, too.
Am receiving some promising reports of possible kittens, and may have a furry purr before too long.