Posted by: Boerboel Owner | 2009-03-30

To Carol and Chill Re:post 356

Hi guys I see you both don`t really encourage bathing of puppies. Is this the case just for puppies or for adult dogs as well? I normally bathe my dogs with Pulvex or Triatix which I get from the vet. Is it bad for my dogs` skin?

Dear Boerboel owner

I also just bath two whippets if needs be. If you do it too often the coat can get dry. The only dogs that need regular baths are dogs with skin infection.

Posted by: WR | 2009-03-30

Sorry to poke my nose in here.
I' m not a believer of the bath a dog once a month club either. I have GSD' s - one long coat &  one short coat - and I bath them on average twice a year - reason: If they get into the odd cow pat or dead something. Otherwise they swim a LOT in dams (muddy/clear - depending on the time of year), rivers/ pools/ anything - yes even the bird' s water feature will suffice! and like Chill said, I also prefer a quick shower with the hosepipe if needed.
What I find is MOST important in the upkeep of your dog' s coat is regular, and I mean at LEAST once a week brushing - stimulates the natural oils (sebum - I THINK) - and after a proper grooming session they look quite shinny and spiffy. Regular grooming also prevents (to a level) hotspots - and if you use the fine(r) rake types - you can even help remove dead/live ticks and fleas (the ones that got past the frontline etc).

I know of a lady that religiously washed her pooch once every other week - and the moment I convinced her to stop, her dog' s coat regained it' s lustre and shine.

That' s my 2 cents worth!

Reply to WR
Posted by: Chill | 2009-03-30

I don' t bathe my dogs at all, frankly. If they get mucky I wash or rinse or slosh with clean water, that' s all.

I know many don' t agree, and it does depend to some extent on the dog' s breed/coat, and of course its environment. I don' t think I' ve evern bathed any of my German Shepherds during their lifetimes, nor my current dogs, and one is a long-haired one.

AS a matter of interest, triatix is quite a potent thing which I certainly would not be using routinely unless prescribed by a vet for a specific reason (certain types of mange). It is not harmless to people either, so I hope you use protective clothing/gloves - especially if you are of child-bearing age!

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Carol | 2009-03-30

I bath my two boxers about twice in the summer .... its not good for their coats , dogs have natural oils to keep their fur shiny and healthy and soaps destroy that.

My dogs are inside dogs, but keeping bedding spotless and daily brushing gets rid of the doggy smell.

So no im not keen on bathing dogs , and the only reason why I do it at all because on the north coast where we are its so hot they get very sweaty and they do need the odd soap.

Reply to Carol