Question
Posted by: Claire | 2012/05/09

To Carl and Ann and Cybershrink

Thank you. I am feeling a bit better. Yes, I know there are lots of people in this situation and my heart so goes out to you Ann. I have also scaled down to zip. My mom is 70 and lives with me. She is not well. Its a case of having a child that is getting more dependent and not less dependent. I had to loan the money from someone so the car can go now at least. The thing that hurt me so badly is that I asked friends of over 20+ years if they could tow me last night. The husband was all fine with it but I heard from his wife today that he is not. I was so angry and after speaking to another friend I told him that I now know he is not a person I can rely on even though he told me I was part of the family and he must have lied. I have never ever asked them for help before. Other friends helped me in the end. Carl, where (sincerely) does a woman of 46 met a really nice and sincere guy in Cape Town? I am a lady and not a girl for pubs and one night stands. Yes, I have looks. Yes I have an ex of 13 years (not married). So the question of stacks of women out there: where are the decent and available guys (not the cheaters).

Pleased the burden seems a bit lighter today. I've been through a very similar experience of caring for a loved one.
OK, sad, but true - some "friends" are not as friendly as they may have once seemed. Some people like to be the sort of person who offers help, but not the sort of person who actually ever gives help.

2
Posted by: Ann | 2012/05/10

Hi Claire

Glad you are feeling better today. Shame about the ''friends'' hey but dont they say you can tell who your real friends are when you need help. Im 47 and in Jhb and also dont know where to meet decent men. The single scene is still so sexist. It''s still deemed as ok for men to gather in a pub and to socialise with each other but if a woman on her own goes to one then she is labelled. Hence I stay clear of pubs and that also leaves the question of where does one go to meet decent men? Every now and again I look on the internet dating sites to see what sort of men in my age group are on there. Well well well - thanks but no thanks! But next time you are feeling down log onto one - it''s sure to give you a good laugh! All the advice given says you need to be happy with being on your own but what if you arent? It''s difficult but I just tell myself ''if its meant to be then it will''. Sorry it''s my turn for being a bit down today.

Reply to Ann