Question
Posted by: Nelza | 2011-05-11

To be induced when giving birth

I would like to know the dangers/disdvantages of being induced when giving birth. I am pregnant with my second child and the first one is 16. I heard that it is not safe only if it is your first child but do not know how far true is this.

My questions are:-

1. Is the pain more than going into labour naturally?
2. Does it make the labour longer?
3. Is it complicated than natural labour?

Another question I have is this:-

Is there no tablets or injection one can ask from her doctor to ease the pain when you are in labour??

Please assist!

The disadvantages of induction are that firtsly, it has a higher chnace of failing which means that you end up with a caesarean. The drugs used can sometimes cause problems such as rupture of the uterus, but this is usually monitored very carefully. Women do say that the pain is stronger than natural labour. The labour should not be longer. There is pain medication available - morphine injections or epidural.

2
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2011-05-13

Posted by: Purple | 2011-05-11

If you are indicued it is much more painful than going into labour naturally.
The labour is usually shorter.
It''s not more complicated than natural labour, but if it is done before your cervix is ripe, then it won''t work and they have usually already broken your waters by that stage meaning baby has to come out within 24 hours otherwise you are at risk of infection, so if labour doesn''t start, then you will end up with a c-section.

There are many options for pain relief during labour, from using a tens machine, to directing a shower head onto the sore bits, to using a deep bath of water, breathing to stay calm, remaining up right so that you dilate faster, going to the toilet regularly as a full bladder increases pain sensations, having a companion with you who will massage you and support you - such as a husband and or a doula. You can also have gas and air (entenox) during contractions to ease the pain, you can have injections of aterax or pethidene and you could also have an epidural.

Why don''t you go for a refersher ante-natal course, all these options would have been aroudn 16 years ago when you had your first child so perhaps you have forgotten a lot.

Reply to Purple