Question
Posted by: Crazy needs help | 2010/04/08

TLE or bipolar or just CRAZY?!

I was orignally dignosed with Bipolar disorder...
Recently i had a really bad episode in which i was basically catatonic.The doctor then booked me off of work for a week, stating i actually had a breakdown associated to stress and Burnout.
I am now seeing a " shrink"  who feels that i actually suffer TLE aka temperiol Lobe Epilespy. The problem is i am so confused about this theory, even though i kind of agree. I never really thought i was bipolar.
I have the manic episodes, mood swings, uncontrollable rage. She told me i suffer with " petit mal"  with " tumalt issues" . I dont know what this means? Please may you help me understand. i am scared and worries and confused. I feel like i am crazy and wish they lock me away....please help.

Very severe Bipolar disorder episodes, in either direction, can be sufficiently severe as to be frankly psychotic, but temporarily so.
The TLE theory is not entirely convincing, but possible. Actually, as both bipolar Disorder and TLE respond well to some anti-convulsant meds, such treatment would help either condition. But a second opinion might not be a bad idea.
I am confused by her comments, as reported by you - TLE and petit mal are distinct and distinctive conditions, and I have never known petit mal confused with bipolar disorder.
And I can't gues what " tumalt issues" might be.
Petit Mal is also called Minor Epilepsy, in which people have very brief "ansences" when they lose their concentration or lose the thread o whatever is going on. Its not like the fits of Grand Mal / Major epilepsy, and not like Temporal Lobe Epilepsy (TLE ) which may include morem emotional features. A second opinion sounds like a good idea - and of course one would hesitate to make any diagnosis of any type of epilepsy without care EEG studies / tests to confirm the diagnosis.

1