Question
Posted by: Taps | 2009-02-11

Tissue Oil

Hi Dr,
Please let me know is it really still necessary to apply tisue oil to my face, I am 34 and I am having pigmentation. I had been using it for a while but I don' t see much results. Im getting hopeless. I wish I can have a better way to remove them, as I would like to keep my skin young but im having a thicker skin layer on the face, always shiny and oily. I tried make up but it makes it worse. People mistaken my age for about being 38 or so. Pls help or refer me to a Dr in PTA who can help.

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hello Taps, thank you for the question.

You list a number of concerns and your best option would be to consult a cosmetic dermatologist (Dr Pieter Du Plessis in Pretoria has an excellent reputation) who can examine the skin and advise you on the best treatment options.

Pigmentation can be treated with both a topical or a technology route (laser, IPL) or a combination of these two treatment choices. From your description it seems that the skin is producing too much oil and this is usually associated with enlarged pores. Glycolic acid peels (NeoStrata) and oil free moisturizers (NeoStrata Oil Control Gel and Oil Free Lotion SPF 15) together with the NeoStrata Clarifying Facial Wash are good options. Avoid any topical products containing oil including makeup and never use facial scrubs or rough exfoliators or brushes as this will aggravate the problem.

Generally speaking my advice would be to start conservatively and to prepare the skin with topical products first, followed by a series of NeoStrata peels, and after 3 to 6 months one may consider technology based treatments depending on the results. Please feel free to print this answer when seeing Dr Du Plessis.