Question
Posted by: ursula | 2010/01/13

tiredness(maybe not getting enough protein/carbs)endurance athlete

just need to know the amount of protein/carbs,without gaining weight.and what type of protein for me(runner)constantly short of breath(no ashma)headachs.doing lot of mileage for Two Oceans Marathon,please give some advice

Dear Ursula
The most important nutrients to prevent fatigue and help you to recover from strenuous exercise are carbohydrates and electrolytes (sodium and potassium). You need to ensure that you eat a so-called high-GI (GI = glycaemic index) food before, during and after exercise. During exercise you can obtain your carbs and electrolytes by using an energy drink (Powerade, Energade, EnerG, etc). Experiment with the different brands to find the one that agree best with you (i.e. does not cause abdominal discomfort). Please also read the articles I have written on the subject of diets for sportsmen and women. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'DietDoc's articles' and read articles 4, 6, 7, 12, 13, 14, 46 to obtain answers to your questions. There is also info on the Fitness site. Click on 'Fitness' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition'. The articles on carbs, carbo-loading and protein are most relevant to your situation.
I hope you can overcome your fatigue and do well at the 2 Oceans.

1

Dear Ursula