Posted by: Lucy | 2010-03-11

Tiredness, dieting, insulin levels and contraception

Hi there, I have been on a diet for 5 weeks and I have lost 10kgs and the last 4 weeks have felt great. Its a low-carb diet, no sugar, no fruit juice either, with the aim of getting your insulin levels to not fluctuate. Its worked well for the past 4 weeks, but last week I went back on the Pill(Triphasil). This week I find myself with serious cravings, no weight loss and a sugar level of 6.4 after meals. I thought the diet was a good idea because I developed gestational diabetes in my pregnancy last year. I was fine the last 4 weeks, but the tiredness this week is overwhelming. Could the contraception be triggering this? My sugar level was fine until last week.

Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010-03-15

Reply to cyberdoc
Posted by: DR Bets | 2010-03-11

Hi Lucy
Just see that you are not taking in too little calories per day as eventually this will cause tiredness and slow down your metabolism. Progesterone can also make you feel tired. Don''t get discouraged if your weight stands still for a week or so, this is normal, your body is adjusting to the new weight. Just don''t try to eat even less as this is counter productive. You have to get in at least 3 portions of high fibre carbohydrates per day, 3 portions of vegetables and 90 grams of Proteien. Try eating apples if you get cravings for sweet things - it contains fruit sugar but due to the high fibre does not cause fluctuating insulin levels.

Reply to DR Bets
Posted by: John | 2010-03-11

sugar level of 6.4 after meals is great!! It can go up to 11 after meals. 2 hour after a meal is should be down again. Smaller than 8 is good. Carry on with your diet, 10kgs are wonderfull. You are doing good! Fruit juice + 50% water is okay.
The tiredness is most likely from the pill

Reply to John