Question

Tiredness and BP

I have had my thyroid tested and found to have an underactive thyroid. I was put on Eltroxin. The tiredness has never gone away. I still have weight around my gut. I gym 4 times a week and this consists of weights, treadmill and circuit training. I have also had a strange occurence last week. After completing the circuit, I went onto the machine to test my weight, pressure, etc and while taking my pressure, I suddenly felt faint and clammy and nauseas. I sat down for a while and asked one of the trainers to get a pressure machine as I suspected that my pressure had gone low. It was low. 84/52. I had to ask someone to drive me home. It took about 90 minutes for me to feel better. the next day I went to my GP and he did not understand what could have caused the problem,. My pressure was 150/106. I'  d like to know what could have caused the dip and then escalation in my pressure.

Dear Anonymous
sometimes it may take a few months before you feel the changes brought on by thyroid supplement. It will also not always cause weight loss, and you may have to follow a low fat, high fibre diet with restricted carbohydrates.
Low blood pressure can be caused by thyroid problems, but also by dehydration and standing up quickly after exercising ( the blood vessels are dilated, causing the blood to pool in the extremities) - this is called orthostatic hypotension.