Question
Posted by: Crowza27 | 2011/12/01

Tirednees

I have recently started gyming however it would appear that I am actually feeling more tired and lathargic than I have priot to gyming. I have always been active (except the last 3yrs) and whenever gyming or been fit I have felty great however this time around i just seem to feel worse and worse with my muscles taking more than a day to recover. this even with me not over exerting myslef but rather doing exactly as I did in the past when gyming.

I have also begun to slowly but surely chang my diet however my muscles just seem to take longer to recover than it ever did and I stay tired throughout the day.

any solutions for this problem?

Dear Crowza27
If you do not have an underlying physical problem such as iron or vit B12 deficiency anaemia (which can cause extreme tiredness), then gradually and carefully allowing your body to get used to exercising again should not cause extreme fatigue. Are you sure that you are not overdoing things and trying to start off where you stopped 3 years ago? If this is the case, then backtrack with your programme and do the exercises at 50% of effort, time, etc. Do this until your body had adapted completely, then increase your exercise slightly once a week. Also make provision for rest days in between bouts of exercise to allow your muscles to recover. From a dietary point of view, factors that can contribute to exhaustion are a lack of carbohydrates in your diet You need to have at least 1-2 servings of carbs at every meal and before, during and after exercise (e.g. energy drinks or bars) to ensure that your body can replenish your stores of muscle and liver glycogen. Using a sports drink like Pepto Pro which also contain some protein will also help your muscles repair any damage they suffer more rapidly. If you find that you are still so tired despite using Pepto Pro and eating plenty of carbs and being gentle with your body, then I would suggest that you have a complete medical checkup to see if you are not anaemic or if you have an underlying physical problem such as thyroid hormone deficiency or insulin resistance. Ask the dr to check all the systems that can cause extreme fatigue.
I hope you will soon be able to exercise fully again.

1

Dear Crowza27