Question
Posted by: Kelly | 2012/03/02

Tired! Sorry for long post

I’ m sure this is not normal because it hasn’ t always been this way.
I’ m always tired, I sleep between 7-8 hours every night, don’ t drink, smoke etc
I go to gym twice a week even though I feel so lethargic BUT I’ m always tired, I never get enough sleep! All I want to do is sleep. My body aches, my back, my feet, my eyes HURT although I’ m not under any stress at all.

I do however hate my job, if I could I would leave it this moment! It does not fullfill me at all, I have lots of potential but I have a dead end job. I have been applying for vacancies but havnt gotten one call back yet, I am also studying part-time (1st year) to improve my chances of a better career in the future, sometimes I just think that its all in vain.

Back to my main problem here, I have been to the doctor for a check-up, he tested everything, thyroid, blood, urine …  everything that could be tested he tested.
My blood was sent for all tests too but eveything came back good.
He said my health was perfect as far as he could see.

Gave me some iron pills though, I’ m also taking a multi-vitamin, Omega3 and vit.C for the past month but I still feel the same.
I have to say that when I’ m away from work I start feeling better, my 2weeks leave was the best and I felt healthy, had energy and I was happy.
First day back to work and end of day I feel the same as before I left for leave.
I don’ t think its my frame of mind, I try my best to enjoy work, to make the best of my day but this palce gets me down.

I cant undestand how my place of work can affect me this badly.sometimes I just feel like dying. Its like this palce has some sort of draining effect on me. I get all sorts of thoughts over here, dark thoughts but when I leave, I’ m happy. I hate the people, I hate the work, I hae everything about it although I have been here for the past 6yrs. I’ ve been feeling like this for the last 2years.

What do I do! I’ m also so afraid that I might just feel like this at another company if I do get a new job. All I yearn for is a new start to everything and hopefully a new me.
Sorry for the long post.

OK, there are so many potential causes for feeling chronically and excessively tired, so its good that you seem to have had a good physical checkup from your doc.
It sounds as though at leat one important factor is your job dissatisfaction, which sounds literally discouraging. That you feel so much better when on leave from work convincingly supports that theory. Of course, while one waits for a better job to turn up ( and one needs to energetically search for it ) CBT style counselling can help you choose to react to even the current job in a way that is less discouraging and draining for you. It doesn't absolutely HAVE to lead to such an effect. And such counselling could also help you to ensure that you would not allow any other job to effect you in this way.

2

Posted by: Lebza | 2012/03/02

Hey Kelly, well done for being able to figure out that something is not right and taking the necessary step on seeking help. So you saying your job is a trigger to the whole lethargy you are experiencing at the moment.

In 2010 I experieced the same problem, and the only way out for me was to quit and yaah the only mistake i made(which I somehow dont regrete) was to quit without another job. Funny when the going went tough, I dont even recall a singel day I regretted quiting my dead end job or hoping they could call me back.

So my perspective would be, hang in there and listen to your essential self(you know mos, that daring Kelly, fearless and full of life), if he cannot take it anymore he will flip and you will know. (In my case, I was about to hold my boss hostage) I promise you I will get to that place and round 9 I am fedup and want out. The day i resigned, I did not even think about it. So hang in there, just ensure that you dont give in, hold on to your ideal job in your mind and see self going there, happy and full of life. This will help you not to blend in and as beings that turn to adapt, you may easily find yourself acknowelledging the situation as normal. As for quiting and the unemployment issue and what the media and its cousins(economics) are predicting, believe me life has proved to all of us that the worst is in our minds, so dont let their information cloud what you are feeling. Your wellbeing(physically and emotionally) is and will always be a priority. Go and ask the CEO of JSE Top40 Corporation who is lying on his deathbed as to what matters most. My friend he will tell with all certainty that MY HEALTH is. So dont compromise skeem saka.

All the best and think happy thoughts skeem, this too shall pass.

Reply to Lebza