Posted by: Cecilia | 2012-11-01

Tired of working

Dear Doc, I am 38 years of age female, working a as Personal Assistant in a good company. My problem is that several times I tried to study but I failed. I am really tired of this work and thinking of resigning and starting a business. I am not looking forward to go to work anymore, its only administration and typing and more over its a very busy division and its really strains me. . It’ s not easy any more, I have been here for about 14 years now. I sometimes remain till late with my boss working and that caused conflict between me and hubby. I tried to tell my husband that I want to resign but he thinks it’ s a joke I must just pull through. I tried to do short courses which i managed to pass and i also tried to get a new job but no luck. I am a confident person but now i just feel so tired.

Did you have testing by a psychologist who provides vocational advice ? They can test for both your interests and your abilities, and ca advise what fields of work would both be appealing and interesting for you, and which you'd be more likely to succeed at .
It sounds unfair for your boss to expect you to work late so often, which cant be due to genuine emergencies, but maybe inefficiant skills and planning on his part, and maybe he's less interested on getting home ?
In these times when good jobs are scarece, its rarely wise to leave a job before you have another one lined up.
Is your boss sympaethic ? Is it possible he coul;d arrange some internal training to enable you to move up to a more challenging role in the company ? Maybe he depends on you so much he wouldn't want you to move ?

Posted by: Lilly | 2012-11-03

yes, go for a carreer councilor test. Also read Follow your NOrth Star by Martha Beck, very good book. Perhaps you were just studying the wrong thing. Dont let it dishearted you, i failed twice!! when studying, did a similar Graphic Design course elsewhere and passed and have had wonderful jobs. Just perservere.. and keep looking for a new job. Its tough out there as jobs arent easy to get (my husband took a year to get a new one). Just Keep Looking, and praying!!
good luck.

Reply to Lilly