Question
Posted by: tammy | 2012/06/19

tired of trying

I have a BMI of 32 and have been on a lot of diets with some weight loss but the weight comes back once I start eating normally. My life entails a lot of travelling and I cannot always pack a healthy lunch. I do skip breadfast because I am never hungry in the morning and in the evenings I have mostly snacks and juice or cooldrink. I dont take any alcohol and do not smoke, I have been getting a lot of headaches and backpain, I think it has to do with the weight. I am not sure which is the best diet to go on or if I could be a candidate for the stomach operations that are done to reduce the size of the stomach, how much do these cost and where in KZN can I find such a clinic.

Dear Tammy
I can understand that you must be getting desperate if you have tried many different diets to no avail. If your BMI = 32, then it is possible that your headaches and back pain could be due to the overweight. It is, however, always a good idea to have such conditions check out by a medical doctor, just to eliminate any underlying problems. If you do see a doctor, ask him/her if he/she can refer you to a weightloss clinic in your area. If you are not going to consult a doctor, then I would like to urge you to consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will have to assess your food intake and make recommendations as to which type of diet or procedure such a bariatric surgery could assist you. Bariatric surgery may be the best solution to assist you to lose large amounts of weigh. You can also contact the Bariatric Centres of Excellence in regard to having a gastric bypass to assist weightloss. You can contact Jana Derksen at the Call Centre for the Netcare Bariatric Centres of Excellence on 0861-623-7489 or contact her at: jana@pharmacallcc.com or call her on her cell phone at: 072-373-0155 or visit their Website at www.netcare.co.za to discuss this option. Once you start losing weight and becomes more mobile, you could consider walking or swimming (heated pool!) as an option for exercise.
I do hope that you will consult a registered dietitian so that she/he can assess your situation and help you make the correct choice so that you can achieve weightloss before your weight endangers your health.

4
Posted by: tammy | 2012/06/20

Thanks, I will contact a dietician as I need to do something, I have two young children who need me to be around and I know that my weight is affecting my health. By the way Ash, I have stuck on a diet for three months and I was walking but only lost three Kgs after which I changed to another diet and took diet tablets after that my weight just remained static. Maybe I did not try hard enought but I really do want and need to loose the weight.

Reply to tammy
Posted by: Ash | 2012/06/20

Dear Tammy

i have been a dieter since I was 16 yrs old. i have realised that ALL diets work, THE TRICK is YOU have to make them work. tHIS THING OF '' I have tried ALL diets , AND nothing worked '' ITS nonsense. a person will try a diet for a week and give it up and say the diet didnt work. You have to do a particular diet for 3 months religiously if u want it to work. Have YOU done any diet consistently for 3 months ?? The TRUTH is if YOU do any diet under the sun for 3 months consistently , IT WILL WORK.

People must just STOPS MAKING excuses and do something consistently and see what will happen. YOU need to get your mind right first and eat healthy. i USED to DIET FOR 3 DAYS and go back to eating pies and say I have tried the diet and it didnt work. REALLY ??FOR 3 days ?? It doesnt make sense. i WANTED TO LOSE 12KGS by dieting for 3 days and the rest of the 7 days eat like a PIG.

The Truth is it was my fault for NOT losing the weight. Every diet works, YOU JUST HAVE TO MAKE IT WORK. Choose the diet that make sense to YOU and make it work. SIMPLE. I did that and I lost the 12kgs. i HAVE STUCK to the diet and gym for 3 months and lost the damn weight.

Reply to Ash
Posted by: Annemarie | 2012/06/19

Tammy, never give up trying. Why don''t you try a shake in the morning wit fat free milk.
And during the day, baby tomatoes, mozzerella cheese, lean biltong, an raw nuts.
Also stop thinking about weight loss every day. Just do it!

Reply to Annemarie

Dear Tammy