Question
Posted by: Celeste | 2009-09-15

TIRED OF STRUGGLING

Hi All

I need some advise please. I have been on Provera for the 3rd time to help me to get a period but this hasn' t helped. I don' t have medical aid so I attend Groote Schuur Infertility Clinic. They told me there that I have " immature eggs"  and that' s why I am not getting a period. I have been trying for 4 years now to fall pregnant. Is there anything else besides Provera that I can use in order to bring on a period? I would appreciate any advise.

Dear Celeste

It appears that you have amenorrhea, which means absence of your menstrual flow due to anovulation which means you are not ovulating. I am assuming that you have been seen already at the Groote Schuur infertility clinic and they have done a thorough examination and in addition also done all the relevant hormonal blood tests. If the problem is simply lack of ovulation and that if you are not responding to Provera you may benefit form using Clomiphene citrate. Ask your gynaecologist at the hospital to try Clomiphene citrate for 5 days and see if ovulation is taking place.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo