Posted by: Megan | 2012-02-28

tired of sleep issues

Good day. I have not been sleeping well for years. Used to live in Durban and slept like a baby. Since my divorce 5 years ago when I moved back to the Lowveld Ive been struggling to sleep. On and off medication..from sleeping pills to natural remedies...even paid a visit to the sleep lab. Ive been through a crisis recently and my GP put me on valdoxane. I am not sure if its working though. Not using for depression but for anti anxiety as I got anxiety attacks at night. The attacks are gone and I fall asleep instantly but sleep so light. If no disturbances during the night I would wake up 6am, but anything that wakes me especially early morning hours will have me tossing and turning until the sun rises. More anxiety sets in of course when I know I have an hour left before wake up time. I have bcome so desperate that I pop a sleeping tab (Zopiclone) during the night if I get woken up. It works everytime and I feel great during the day but am worried about long term affects. Surely I am not dealing with the root of the problem by doing so. Also not sure about the valdoxane in the first place. Why fall asleep instantly but wake up with the slighest movement of my partner or least noise? Please advise. I am so tired of sleep issues. Its ruining my life. Everything depends on whether I slept. Anxious also before a big night or exam..then I dont sleep at all.. and needless to say I dont enjoy nor perform as well as I would have if only I slept.

Expert ImageSleep Expert

Early morning waking is typical of, although not exclusive to depression. So your first issue is to decide whether that might be your problem. If so, the Valdoxane is clearly not effective for you, and you might need something else.

A sleep lab can only tell you about the quality of your sleep while you are actually sleeping, it cannot tell you why you are not sleeping.

If depression is not the answer, you are going to need to see a doctor who knows about sleep medicine to help sort the problem out.

Posted by: Megan | 2012-02-29

Good day, thank you for the prompt response. Kindly recommend a sleep doctor.
Kind regards

Reply to Megan