Question
Posted by: Emotional | 2011/05/01

Tired of fighting for my sanity

I am a 30 year old man suffering from depression. I do see a psyciatrist regularly but my problem is, i feel so ashamed most times I cant get a word out I always seem to end up crying. So you get emotional and then angry at your self for acting like a idiot. I have been seeing him for about 6 months but I realy dont feel any better. Dont missunderstand me I think he is a fine doctor I just dont know how to fix this. I am so tired. Every day feels like a fight just trying to survive the day.

Sorry to hear about this. Though you're describin a fairly common reaction, in reality, of course, you have nothing whatever to justify feeling ashamed - you have a respectable, common and well-recognized disorder which deserves attention and can be relieved. You don't mention what treament you have been receiving for these 6 months. Antidepressant medications can indeed help, and usually within 2 to 3 weeks you would be feeling distinctly better. I would also think you sound as though you would be very well helped by seeing a psychologist offering CBT ( Cognitive-behaviour Therapy ) which is effective for depression and anxiety, helps you to gain better control over the situation.
As Maria says, 6 months is a long time for therapy to show no substantial benefits. IF you are stuck primarily due to a difficulty in talking with your shrink ( who really ought to have the skills to help you get through this temporary and unnecessary barrier ) maybe you could try writing down your major thoughts so the shrink can read these and start dealing with them.
I gree too that this lack mof progress, which is NOT your fauly, needs to be described with your shrink, and a second opinion sought.

5
Posted by: Realist | 2011/05/02

Maria. Yes, you are quite right and I did exercise my right. I am not prepared to be ashamed of my beliefs irrespective of how some who use this forum may consider it to be"  politically incorrect"  I make no apologies and need no permission from anyone. No one has to take my advice, but perhaps " Emotional"  should decide for himself and just maybe he finds peace. Surely you would not complain about that ? He is clearly not having any satisfaction with what he is doing now.

Reply to Realist

Posted by: Maria | 2011/05/01

Realist, I respect your right to be religious and this is an open forum so you also have the right to share. But not everybody believes in a god, and being told to pray is not helpful to everybody out there. The ones who have tried prayer and didn''t get anything out of it will feel even worse because your suggestion will make them feel they didn''t pray well enough.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Maria | 2011/05/01

Are you on any medication or are you just having talk therapy? 6 months is a long time to be in therapy with no improvement. If you are deeply depressed it is often better to take some medication in addition to a focussed therapy method like cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT). As for becoming too emotional to talk, try writing out or typing up what you want to say to your doc and then just give him the pages to read. I do that sometimes, it''s just easier than having to sit there and get the words out.

Your psychiatrist might be a fine doctor but perhaps he is not the right person to help you? Do discuss your lack of progress with him, and/or seriously consider getting a second opinion. I know this is incredibly hard, because of the depression, but your current treatment is isn''t working for you and you have to do something different.

Good luck.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Realist | 2011/05/01

Sorry to hear about your plight.Are you entirely on your own or do you have close family around you ? However, may I suggest you try prayer? You know, Our Lord and his Blessed Mother are always there for you. Speak to Them from your heart and hand your problems over to Them for their intercession . My friend., the Lord will ALWAYS answer your.prayers. God Bless you.

Reply to Realist