Question
Posted by: Shoes | 2011-01-21

Tired Mom

Hi there,

I wake up tired every morning. I am 38, weigh 58kgs and my height is 1.82cm. I know my BMI is below what it should be and perhaps that contributes to the tiredness. I was up twice last night with the kids and have not had a good night''s sleep in 4 years. My children are 4 &  1.

I have been for 2 Vitamin B injections this month, which helped temporarily. I have given up gym to take a break. I stopped last month, when I was swimming 8kms a week.

I eat Oats porridge for breakfast, and apple at 10am and for lunch I usually have 2 x slices of peanut butter sandwiches. I have biscuits and fruit again at 3pm and then a dinner of rice or potatoes with a meat dish and vegetables. I drink tea and cordial during the day.

My last holiday was in February 2008, for a week. I take Vital Womens multi vitamin and Calcium, iron and Vitamin C supplements. Is there another supplement I can take to boost my energy levels or perhaps change my diet some how?

Thank you for your time.

Dear Shoes
Your BMI = 17,5 which is far too low. To get back into the normal range with a BMI of 20, you would need to weigh 66 kg, thus a gain of 8 kg. I would firstly recommend that you have a medical checkup just to see if you are suffering from iron deficiency or vit B12 anaemia (both of which can make you feel exhausted all the time). When you see the dr discuss your exhaustion so that he can also check your thyroid. From a dietary point of view, I would recommend that you try to gain weight and eat a more balanced diet. Basically individuals who struggle to gain weight do not ingest sufficient energy for the high demands of their Basic metabolic rate and/or physical activity. I have written some articles on this subject. For basic information click on 'DietnFood' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Companies like Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements Phone the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your energy intake. You can purchase liquid meal supplements at most chemist shops. Talk to the pharmacist about your need to gain weight and see which products he or she will recommend. Basically you need to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If you use a liquid meal supplement at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then you should gain 1 kg per week. Feedback from other Readers has indicated that they have successfully gained weight by using a meal supplement. The diet you are eating at present is not really well balanced either and I don't think you are eating enough to sustain your energy output, esp when you were swimming 8 km a week. I would at this stage not recommend any other supplements, but rather that you obtain your nutrients from a varied diet.
And try to have a holiday even if it means asking a friend or family member to put you up for awhile so that you can get away from your usual setting.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-01-21

Dear Shoes