Question
Posted by: Bernie | 2012/03/14

TIRED LEGS

Dear Doc &  other forum members

I exercise in the gym daily from Monday to Friday and three times a week I am traiining myself to run on the road.

I started walking for 4 minutes an running for 1 and am now at the point where I am running for 5 minutes and walking for 2. But somehow I cannot get past this goal. I cant run for 5 minutes and walk for 1 minute, neither can I run for 6 minutes and walk for 2 minutes. I can only manage to do either of these for about two or three times.

My breathing and heart rate seem to be fine, however my legs become very heavy and very tired.

What can I do to move on. My goal was to be able to run 5km by 15 April 2012 and I am now running out of time to achieve my goal.

I would really appreciate any guidance.

Hi Bernie
Have you tried to reduce the pace of those runs? Do you have an indication of the speed you're running at? Because it sounds as though you are not adapting to the training, which is unusual, but can happen if you are extending yourself too far. Also, how long have you been doing this?

Theoretically, if you slow the pace of the run sections down by even a small amount, you'll be able to run for longer, and that's probably what needs to be done.

If you still find that you're incapable of exercise, then it may well be worth seeing a physician, because there are some conditions that can lead to exercise "intolerance" and you might want to have those excluded from being possible.

But I think if you just bring the intensity down, run slower, it should help you get over this bump.

2
Posted by: Bernie | 2012/04/10

Thank you for your response. It seems that I was over extending myself. When I changed my routine to only run 3 to 4 times a week and in the gym work on my upper body and stretching, I found that I was able to run much better. I have reached my goal to be able to run 5km. However, the time which I take to do so is still very slow, but I can work on that. At least I can now run for 5km - after the run on Sunday, 15 April 2012 - should I work on increasing my speed for the 5km or work towards being able to run 10km? What do you suggest? I really enjoy the running and when I am not concentrating on how far I have run and how long it has taken, I dont even feel it.

Thank you very much.

Reply to Bernie
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2012/03/26

Hi Bernie

Reply to fitnessdoc