Posted by: Tired | 2011-07-27

Tired but can''t sleep

Good morning Doctor,

Could you please help me with an alternative, natural route to help with sleep deprivation, I don''''t want to take any sleeping tablets.
I currently do the Chamomile tea before bed.
I also used to take Gaba.
I have also just gone through losing a loved one as well as a break up from a long relationship, I realise that this will affect it too, I can''''t sleep at night but when I get to work I feel as though I could sleep under the desk! Please help

Expert ImageSleep Expert

Sleeping tablets do not work for longer than a week or so, so you are quite right to avoid them.

The technique which, in good clinical studies, has shown to be the most effective, is a psychological technique called "cognitive behavioural therapy". You will need to find a psychologist who knows how to do this, though. The results are generally very good, without he use of medications "natural" or otherwise.

Posted by: Fred | 2011-08-12

I become drowsy at 20h30 and sleep but at 01h30 I get up and find it very difficult to sleep again. What is disturbing my sleep. This is now becoming a norm. Please help!

Reply to Fred