Question
Posted by: Me | 2011-09-29

Tired

Hi Doc.
I''ve been feeling really ill for the past couple months.
Not ill as in ill but just offish. I''m 25, my back hurts, my eyes feel messed up, my body aches, headaches etc etc
The past 2 days I feel even worse, I''m dressing funny, I can’ t be bothered really, I look like an old lady, my feet are aching. I just don’ t have the energy for anything.

Am I stressed? I don’ t really have a stressful life so I don’ t think I am. I think I''m just tired of life, like I feel everyone else is progressing in this rat race but I''m way behind.
I''m currently studying too but I haven’ t opened a book since the semester began and exam are starting soon.

I hate work and the only reason I force myself up in the morning is because I need my salary. I support my siblings as my parents are - well they were retrenched. When I''m here, I''m not here. I just feel like leaving this place, going home and staying under the covers.

I''m thinking of going to the doctor to put me off for a week perhaps so that I can just go home and sleep. I''m thinking I''d feel better when I get back but there has been times when I''ve taken off a couple of days, I feel good when I get back but a day or 2 later and I''m back to my former self.

What should I do?

There could be so many possible reasons for such symptoms they sound unpleasant but rather non-specific. Its not fair to ask any doctor "to put me off for a week", and its highly unpliely to help you. Ask him to review your physical state and symptoms, and suggest a diagnostic explanation and the best way to manage it.

5
Posted by: Me | 2011-09-30

Thanks for your replies.
I havnt thought that there could be anything medically wrong with me. Anythings possible but I have to say we had a health day at work a month ago and I had everything tested and my results were normal, even good.

Reply to Me

Posted by: Chris758 | 2011-09-29

Also ask the doctor to test you for diabetes!!! This sounds a lot how I felt and it is because of diabetes.

Reply to Chris758
Posted by: Liza | 2011-09-29

There could be multiple reasons why you''re feeling so run down. These include suffering from depression, thyroid problems, sleep apnea, low blood pressure, anaemia amongst others. The lack of motivation is rather indicative of depression however. Personal factors that make it even more likely is the fact that you hate your job and only do it for the money because everyone is depending on you. The pressure as the sole breadwinner is probably huge.

Luckily there is light at the end of the tunnel. A GP can ensure that there aren''t any physical reasons (even with depression, there could be other physical ''trigger'' factors as well like being anaemic) for your low mood. Then the GP can refer you to a psychiatrist or he can prescribe an antidepressant to help get you over the hump. CBT style counseling is also invaluable since it teaches you to change your thought patterns from negative to positive.

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza
Posted by: Romany | 2011-09-29

Have blood tests done first. Sounds like you may be anemic or something...

Reply to Romany