Question
Posted by: Gail Hoorn | 2011/04/05

Tired

I am 47 (female) had a heart attack a month (22 Feb''11) ago, Medication is Ramisin, Concor, Clopidogrel Winthrop and Ecotrin. I am exremely tired is it the medication?

Expert ImageCardiologist

Hi Gail I am sorry to hear about your heart attack. How was the diagnosis made? Heart attacks are uncommon in young women your age and usually there is a pre-disposing condition eg diabetes or smoking. Do either of these apply to you? (A familial high cholesterol is also an important cause of heart attack in young women but from the fact that you are not on cholesterol-lowering medication I assume that does not apply to you.)

Your medication sounds good except that whatever your cholesterol is you should also be on medication to reduce it. From the fact that you are taking clopidogrel I assume you had an angiogram and possibly a stent?

Beta blockers like Concor commonly cause tiredness, especially in high dose. However, in the first few weeks after a heart attack it is more likely the heart attack itself that is the cause of the tiredness, and if you have had a heart attack it is important to take a beta blocker, at least for a while. I would not stop it without consulting your cardiologist or physician.

1
Posted by: Cardiologist | 2011/04/06

Reply to Cardiologist