Question
Posted by: melrose | 2010/08/30

Tinnitus diagnosis

Good day Doc

I have been diagnosed with Tinnitus in my left ear. I have had an assessment by an Audiologist and was told that the hairs in my cochlea have become " lazy"  and that is why I have the " ringing"  and the hearing of my heartbeat.

I have been taking SIBELIUM tablets, but nothing has improved. The next option apparantly is a type of a hearing aid that will " confuse"  the brain?.....and this will help.

Can I please have your opinion on this issue.

I am a 71 year old male in excellent health and strangely enough do not have a hearing problem at all.

Mel

Expert ImageArchive

There are several methods of helping a patient manage tinnnitus. Your audiologist was referring to the fact that when the brain is deprived of sound due to a hearing loss even at just a few frequencies, it may "increase its gain" to try to compensate for what it is not getting, and instead detects tinnitus. Hearing aids are often very helpful for tinnitus patients becasue it gives the brain some of the stimulation it is lacking from the ear. I suspect that your audiologist felt that some of the hair cells (not really hairs) were damaged. If they are only damaged at a few frequencies you may not even be aware of any hearing problem (but your brain might be). Hearing your heartbeat might be related to high blood pressure or a vascular issue. Therefore, you should consult with your medical physician to get this checked out.

1
Posted by: Tinnitus Expert | 2010/08/31

Reply to Tinnitus Expert