Question
Posted by: Daleen | 2010-10-19

Tinnitus

Want to know if it could be true that in today''s day and age there is no cure for tinnitus. Info on internet claims cure but it has not been tested and it is costly. I have tinnitus in both ears but very badly in my right ear (in which i almost have no hearing either). The sound in the right ear seems to be in sync with my heartbeat and increases when my heartbeat goes up like when I exercise.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Daleen

In all cases a cause for the tinnitus should be sought, as treatment may be possible. You should see an ENT, and this will include a few possible tests and examinations.
1. Blood tests (full bloodcount, glucose, ironlevels, etc)
2. Examination of the ear
3. Audiogram (performed by an audiologist)
In the case of your right ear, you may be suffering from pulsitile tinnitus, and the causes in that case should be looked for, as it is mostly found. The cause in this case is mostly due to a problem with circulation, or on a vascular basis. This may require special investigations such as a MRI scan.
If no cause is found, one could try tinnitus retraining therapy, a technique the trains you to "ignore" the sound. This takes a long time, up to 18 months.
No medication has proved to be helpful in the long run.
In the case of a sensori-neural hearing loss, the use of a hearing aid will controll the tinnitus.
The new treatment on the market is called "hearing health" and contains anti-oxidants that seem to improve the condition after threee months of use. You should discuss this with your ENT.
A few pointers may be helpfull in the interim:
Avoid loud sounds
Avoid complete silence
Avoid excessive stimulants (caffeine, etc)