Posted by: Raey | 2009-06-11

Tinned mussels during pregnancy

Good Day

I have searched many sites already, but can' t seem to find the best answer to my question. I am about 12 weeks pregnant and suffering from terrible nausea. The few things that I can get down are mostly healthy and I am glad for that, but I am a bit concerned about the fish intake. Actually, more the tinned mussels and fish paste. I have been eating fish paste on toast almost every morning and it' s the only thing I can bear in the morning and only today realised I might be putting my baby at risk. I bought some tinned mussels, but have not eaten them yet.
Am I putting my baby at risk with the fish paste and what about the tinned mussels?

I think that you should avoid the mussels. The fish paste is okay in moderation. Nausea usually settles down after 12 weeks and you can then vary your eating.