Posted by: Peta | 2011-11-30

Tingling in hand/fingers

Hi - I have had neck strain for a while now...sore muscle in my left back. If I turn my neck a certain way where it hurts, my fingers start to tingle. Now I have noticed that when I''m sitting at my desk and typing on the keyboard if I constrict the blood flow or squeeze very hard just below my elbow (half way between wrist and elbow) my hand also tingles then stops when I release it. What is this ? Is it a blood circulation problem ? Or from the neck strain ? Why only when I squeeze ?

You have parasthesia in your fingers, due to irritation of nerves radiating from your cervical spine. You should consult a doctor for an examination, x-rays and possible MRI scan. You can consult a physiotherapist for treatment of muscle spasm if indicated. Pressing on your arm will cause tingling if you apply direct pressure on the nerves supplying the hand.