Posted by: Elsabe Parratt | 2011-10-24

Tingling finger tips

Dear doc, For the last few days I am suffering from severe water retention. I also find that my balance is impaired. I woke up this morning with a tingling feeling in the tips of my fingers.

I am 41 years old and my mother got a stroke when she was still in her thirties. I am therefor very concerned that the symptoms mentioned could be an indication of a possible stroke. I am very stressed at the moment and also do not wanrt to overreact.

I had some bad headaches on Friday and Saturday, but that is something not uncommon as I do get headaches several times a month.

Please advice what the cause of the tingling in my finger tips could be and whether you think I should be alarmed.

I doubt that your symptoms are due to the onset of a stroke. The tingling in your fingers, are caused by pressure on the nerves supplying your hand with sensation. Irritation or pressure on these nerves, can be due to pressure in the cervical spine area or even due to severe swelling of your hands. I do however, suggest that you consult your doctor for an examination and risk assessment for strokes.