Posted by: Runner | 2008-12-09

Tingle &  Numb Feet and Legs

Hi there,

I run 40 kms 3 times a week and have noticed that my left shin (between knee and ankle) gets numb. I dont really feel this at all only when i touch it do i get that mild sensation as if it is numb. Also, the tip of my big toes sometimes get tingly and numb as well. What I have also noticed is that the area around my sole extending backwards towards my ankles takes on the same skin colour as my under foot. It extends higher up than normal. Please advice is I should be concerned about these.

Many thanks,

Do you mean 4km three times a week - 40km is a major distance. Or is it cycling?

In any event, might be a problem with the flow of blood to the legs, that happens sometimes. I'm thinking it's probably not this, though, because that usually causes quite a bit of pain as well. You need to monitor it, obviously, and make sure it doesn't get worse.

The other option is a nerve irritation in the lower back, which can easily be referred to the shin because all the nerves to your legs originate in the back area. So that's certainly an option. I think the only way to know that is to go for physio, and have them assess it - by poking and prodding and seeing what they discover. Once that happens, you can begin to treat properly.