Posted by: Worried mom | 2009-03-09

Tinea versicolor

What can U advise on this: Took my 4 yr old boy to the doc twice for his skin on just the torso, a rash like scaling white, moves in lines.. he' s been on Zyrtec which did not help at all. Last night when i went to ER for myself, the doctor saw his skin and said he' s got a fungal infection (Tinea) and gave him 3 small tablets and some cream. Is there nothing more i can do for him???

Expert ImagePharmacist

T. Versicolor is a common fungal infection of the skin and should be no cause for concern. Besides the meds the doctor gave, you can try using a shampoo (yes, the shampoo!) containg either selenium sulfide (Selsun shampoo - The gray and yellow box) or 2% ketoconazole (Nizshampoo) applied to dry skin and washed off after 10 minutes, repeated once a day for 2 weeks - This is one of the most effective treatments for this condition.