Posted by: Nic | 2009-07-01

Tinea Cruris

I have a situation that is currently out of control. I have Tinea Cruris that is part of me for the past 17 years. It is located in my groin, and back. I have been to a Docter several times as well as to a Dermatolgist. Evertime I get prescription medicine eg Sporonox (which the Dermatologist prescribed), Lamisille Tablets, and Lamisil Ointment. The problem is that these products are very expensive to keep on sing for an extended period of time. As you would know, Lamisil Ointment is very small tube and in my case I use it for about 2 days then it is depleted.
I would like to know if there isnt any other treatment that I can follow regarding this problem or any Homeophathic or home made remedoes that one can use?
This problem about Tinea Cruris is part of my life, but is really getting out of hand now and it is very irritating and unpleasent. Please help!

Hallo Nic
Tinea cruris (jock itch) is a fungal infection and one should be able to heal it with medication unless you are diabetic or have an immune disorder and are therefor more prone to infections. Cheaper over the counter antifungals are clotrimazole (Medaspor) and miconazole (Daktarin). Creams used to treat jock itch should be applied twice a day for at least two weeks (or longer - can be stopped after the rash has been gone for one week).
Prevention of recurrence:
Wear loose fitting clothing made of cotton .
Avoid sharing clothing and towels or washcloths.
Allow the groin to dry completely after showering
Antifungal powders or sprays (Mycota powder/footspray) may be used once a day to prevent infection.