Question
Posted by: Stacey | 2012/01/16

Times between meals

What is the ideal time between meals and between snacks . Ie : I have breakfast how many hours later should i have a snack and how many hours later should i have lunch etc.

Also how long should one wait after eating dinner before going to sleep.

thanks

Dear Stacey
The time span between meals and/or snacks depends on quite a few factors and is not written in stone. One of the most relevant factors is how how long your day is??? If you have a very long day (i.e. rising at 05:00 and only going to sleep after 22:00) then you may need to have more snacks at regular intervals to keep you going than if you have a relatively short day. According to the latest edition of my nutrition reference book, "optimum function of the human gastrointestinal tract seems to depend on a constant supply of foods rather than on consumption of large amounts of foods interrupted by prolonged fasts." Generally speaking 6 smaller meals per day should be adequate for most individuals unless you participate in extreme physical activity. Thus for a standard 16 hour day this would mean eating foods every 2-4 hours. If you have your breakfast at 06:00, a snack at 09:30, lunch at 12:30, a snack at 15:30, dinner at 18:30 and a light snack (a glass of flow-fat milk) at 21:30 then you would obtain maximum benefit from your foods and also be able to go to bed and sleep immediately after your evening drink of milk without negative effects (provided you are not allergic or intolerant to milk?).
I hope this helps

2
Posted by: Janke | 2012/01/18

As far as I know, from doing a lot of research on the internet (I wanted to become a dietician, I am obsessesed with eating right, but don''t always eat right) you should eat a big, but healthy breakfast as soon as possible when you wake up. Preferably not bacon and fattening foods, rather cereal, yogurt and fruits or even eggs and whole wheat bread. Then you should eat something small 2 or 3 hours later. Also something which is not high in fat, but nutritional, like a fruit or provitas or muesli. Then another 3 hours later you can eat lunch. And 3 hours after that, another snack. Your main meals should be approxiamately 6 hours apart. Whatever you do, just keep your snacks quite small and healthy and your meals can be big (b-fast and lunch, not dinner). Dinner should be eaten an hour or longer before you go to bed. By following these rules your metabolism will not slow down and you won''t get cravings a lot. Good luck hey!!

Reply to Janke

Dear Stacey
I hope this helps