Question
Posted by: John | 2010-08-05

Time to quit aropax?

Hi, I was diagnosed with panic disorder in December 2009, and since then have taken Aropax ranging from 15mg to now 25mg per day. I have an extremly stressful job, but still managed to cope, Ive put on about 15kg, and I must say my sexlife is not that great either. Since about February, Ive been quite okay with the disorder, no real panic attacks, but sometimes I do feel like a panic attack is looming even now, shortness of breath, sweaty palms but not to the full extent I used to. My question is when do I start weaning myself off this drug, I dont want to be dependant on this medication no longer or how long would I still have to be on this medication?

Its best to consider weaning off such drugs only after a re-assessment from the prescribing shrink, as to WHETHER to come off, and how best to do so. It's possible that a different medication might do a more thorough job of removing the panic attacks. It might also be worth considering CBT ( Cognitive-behaviour Therapy ) which can empower you with personal tactics to avoid triggers, and to abort rising anxiety if and when it arises

1