Question
Posted by: jenny | 2010-04-18

timber wolf

We have a siberian timber wolf, he is about 12 years old, he has always been very healthy. We moved to a farm in Dec, although we didn''t spend the first night on the farm, our helper (who the animals have known for more than a year prior to our move) was on the farm, the wolf disappeared in the middle of the night. He came back two and half weeks later. He was emanciated. We are really battling financially so we were unable to take him to a vet (called our local spca &  the state vet, but no one would see him without being paid) His daily diet since then has been 2 litres of mixed pellets &  millie meal cooked with bone shavings (from the butcher). All our other dogs are thriving, happy with shiny coats and well padded. It''s been 4 months since he came back, but he has never recovered, not even mentally, he''s just subdued and quiet. I constantly check his gums, but they don''t show any sign of sickness. No runny nose, clean ears, clear eyes, teeth have no cavities and nice and white. Some days he just seems weak and battles to get up and lie down. Don''t know if this has aged him and don''t even know if you can help. Any advise or information on life span?

Dear Jenny

I suspect something have packed up inside, kidneys, liver etc.

4
Posted by: jenny | 2010-04-18

We are in East London. He doesn''t only get millie meal, he gets about 1 cup of bone shavings with 2cups of millie meal and 2 cups of pellets. I know it is still insufficient, just doing the best we can. Will make a priority to get him to the vet. Thank you very much for the advise.

Reply to jenny
Posted by: Chill | 2010-04-18

Yes, he could. You really need to see about making a plan to get him to the vet.

Mealie meal is an inadequate dogfood - it does not contain anywhere near the nutrients a dog needs. Not that that is your main problem right now, but still.

You also don''t say where in the country you are - but if you''re in a rabies area, please don''t delay in getting the animal to a vet - you can''t afford to take any risks with something like that.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: jenny | 2010-04-18

since my please help this morning, we have had a further incident, he suddenly started screaming and running around the house, we opened up and he came rushing, didn''t know us though, and piddled on the floor, seemed to have a little bit of froth around his mouth and a bit blood on his nose, we calmed him down, but took him about a half an hour to be okay again, although very weak. this afternoon he walked into the side of the house, head first! again about a half an hour and he was okay again. he hasn''t lost his appetite, ate all his supper. Could he be suffering?

Reply to jenny
Posted by: Cybervet | 2010-04-18

Dear Jenny

Reply to Cybervet