Question
Posted by: Cailey | 2008/08/05

TIGHTNESS BACK OF KNEE

I am a road runner. Since Comrades this year I am experiencing tightness at the back of one knee more to the inside of the leg. I am able to run but after doing some distance it tightens up again. What could this be?

HI Cailey

A number of things, possibly. Could be that you've damaged the meniscus, which is the little fluid filled "pad" that provides some cushioning on the inside of the knee. Could also be a ligament sprain, perhaps when fatigued during Comrades? It's very difficult to say - the knee is a pretty complex joint and you'd require a proper consult to get a diagnosis. So while I hate to pass the buck, it's important to see someone about it.