Question
Posted by: Maseru | 2011/03/14

Tight chest when exercising

Dear Doc,
I''m a 33 year old female who recently started gym and I do mild excersing as this is my frist time ever in my life in gym. But since I started training 3 weeksn ago I have been experiencing difficulty breathing, my chest is more tight at the top of my lungs more closer to throat. Now I can''t even breathe when I''m sleeping. What might be causing this? and is it asthma or bronchitis?

Please advice.

Hi Maseru

It could be exercise induced asthma (or asthma), or it might be related to the fact that you're just starting out, and so your lungs are not used to the high and deep breathing rates. With time, you'd be able to figure this out, because fitness improves while asthma would remain.

I'd back off the intensity for a bit, see how you go at slower paces and then build up. If the problem persists, then it's worth seeing someone about it. Asthma is one possibility, there are some others, more serious, in that chest pain (which is a step up from tightness) can be a symptom of a heart issue.

So if it persists, definitely worth seeing someone.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/03/23

Hi Maseru

Reply to fitnessdoc