Question
Posted by: panicked | 2010-11-16

Tietze''s Syndrome???

Hi Cyberdoc
I have been experiencing chest pains for 6 days. I had an ECG on the 2nd day which came back normal and blood test for cardiac enzymes and these are apparently normal too.
The pain is mainly in my left breast area - sometimes under the breast, sometimes above the breast and sometimes the whole breast. Also sometimes a little pain in the centre and right breast area.
I also have a very stiff back &  left shoulder and am very tired.
I have heard of this Tietze syndrome and wonder if it could be what is causing these pains? If so - how can I treat it?
Is breast cancer/lymph cancer a possibility? The more I worry about what is causing the problem the more symptoms I feel or get more pain (I am sure this is a result of panic). Do you have any other advice?

Hallo Panicked
If your ECG and blood tests are normal and the pain is sometimes on the other side as well, it is unlikely to be heart related. It sounds to me as if it could be muscle related (inflammation) and could be due to the muscle spasms in the back with irritation of the nerves that curl round your body. Breast cancer is usually painless. If you have any palpable nodules in the breast, you should have this checked out. Going for physiotherapy may help a lot for your symptoms. You are probably a bit anxious about this as well, so it may help to take something like Biral 2 three times a day ( if you need something stronger you will have to get a prescription)

3
Posted by: panicked | 2010-11-16

Thanks Tiffany - I am in Joburg and would consider a homeo. I am going to book a massage and hopefully that will sort out the problem but i would be grateful if you could suggest a homeo

Reply to panicked
Posted by: tiffany | 2010-11-16

i was diagnosed with tietze''s syndrome a while back and your symptoms sound about right.having said that, a lot of symptoms can suggest one thing but be another altogether. if your ecg and bloods were clear you need to try to take a breather and relax, the stress will only make it worse

i had tremendous success with a homoeopath after months of treatment from a gp so if you are in the durban or jhb area and would consider a homeo just let me know and i can suggest someone for you

Reply to tiffany
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010-11-16

Hallo Panicked